Monday, November 19, 2007

Not again...

I am almost too embarrassed to post this. Sophie had yet another ER visit today. Yes - that makes 3 ER visits in the last 5 weeks. First, I just want to say she is FINE!!! Which is quite surprising considering the circumstances. Brandon told Sophie that it is a miracle that she is okay but that we would like to save the miracles for her to become seizure free and not for these other unknown events that seem to happen to her.

So what happened... Sophie and her two cousins, Colin and Nicholas, were playing in the sunroom while I was making some lunch. I heard Colin say he wanted to go downstairs to get a soccer ball but I just did not think twice about it. The next thing I heard was...boom, boom, boom, boom and screaming. At that moment, I knew exactly what happened. Sophie went tumbling down our basement steps head first and landed on the concrete floor. I ran to the basement door and I saw Sophie laying face down at the bottom of the steps. I was so scared. I did not know what to expect. I ran* down the steps and I did not know what to do. I was scared to pick her up for fear of hurting her worse. I scooped her up and looked at her face. No blood!!! All I saw was an increasingly huge knot on her forehead. I ran upstairs with her in my arms and immediately called Brandon. He immediately left work to meet me at the ER. I then called my sister to have her pick us up. Only a few minutes had passed by at this point and Sophie had stopped crying. She seemed fine. I looked under her clothes and no signs of bruises or cuts. The only thing I could see was this growing knot on her forehead and a few other small sore spots on her face. Colin, on the other hand, was crying inconsolably. He had witnessed the entire thing and was so scared that he may have hurt his little cousin. Colin is more like a big brother to Sophie than a cousin. He is always so patient with her and is always doing such kind things for her. Sophie wanted to get down and play but I was scared out of my mind to let her walk around for the fear of her having a drop seizure and landing right on that huge knot on her forehead.

My sister, Erin, arrived and dropped Sophie and I off at the ER. Brandon was already at the ER waiting for us and Grandma Debbie arrived shortly thereafter. Sophie was all smiles and seemed to not have realized what just happened. Once we were admitted into the ER, they took an x-ray of her neck and spine and all looked great. No broken bones, no cuts, no bloody lips, no bruises anywhere else on her body. She is so tough!!! She literally walked away from somersaulting down 14 unfinished wood steps and landing on a concrete floor with only a huge knot on her forehead a couple of other small sore spots on her face. She has been fine the rest of the night.

By the way, we had the same ER doctor as our last visit. When he walked up to us, he said we looked very familiar. I explained we were just here recently for croup. When we were leaving, he said he would call if the radiologist saw something on the x-ray that he did not see but that no news was good news. I said no offense but I hope to never see or hear from you again.

* Colin later said to me...I can't believe you didn't fall down the steps too. You came down so fast. He later asked his mom if she would run that fast to get to him if he got hurt. So precious!

1 comment:

great aunt barb said...

So glad Sophie is fine! It's amazing how they bounce at this age. Your story brings back all the "step" horror stories in my life and I bet there's not a mom out there that can't relate!!

When Laura was 2 and 1/2 I actually watched her flip off the top step to our basement. She did a sommesault in the air and hit the wall on the left, flipped again and landed on her feet on the floor with her face hitting the second step. I flew down the steps and scooped her up (so relieved that she wasn't really hurt since she landed on her feet)....that was till she looked at me with her tear streaked face and a nose that was spreading across her face!!! My neighbor drove us to the hospital. There they took pictures and x-rays and asked more questions than I thought necessary...I think they may have thought I whacked her in the nose!! ( That has crossed my mind, but not till she was sixteen!)

Anyway, the two black eyes and swollen nose only lasted a couple weeks but the incident is what has ingrained the broken record of "Don't play on the steps!" and "Shut that door!" into my list of annoying and nagging statements for the past 40 years.

Take care and see you all soon.