Friday, December 09, 2011

Surgery is over!!!

Dr. Asano and then Dr. Sood came in and talked to us. They both said all went well. They removed the cushion that they planned on and then performed the MST over the entire sensi-motor cortex. When they replaced the grids, they did not see any spiking. Therefore, they did not feel it was necessary to remove any additional tissue which will give her a better chance at preserving the motor function in her right hand. This is GREAT news so far!!! Now it is a "wait and see" game to see how much weakness she has and how much therapy she needs. Just like we wanted Sophie to have lots of seizures to be captured during the grid monitoring, we are also wanting to see weakness immediately after surgery. But we are hoping it will only be temporary and she should regain her strength within two weeks.

Thank you for all your prayers, support and love.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the news after reading the previous post, I was oh so nervous. So many unknowns. We will be sitting on the edges of our seats for the next two weeks hoping for her strength to return. I have one of those stress balls to squeeze that would be good for therapy. Its a small globe with DT spelled out on it. Someone who worked there must have thought I was stressed. Who me? Maybe we should give it to Dr. Sood. Its time to regift, I think. I've got enough for everyone. Best wishes, CB

Anonymous said...

Sophie, Grandma is on her way. Get ready for the "best" Wizard of Oz puppet show ever. I love you my sweet sweet child.

Heather said...

Sending love and prayers form afar.

The amazing resiliency and determination that Sophie has shown over all these years, are the very things that will see her through the days ahead, I can promise you that.

Anonymous said...

Sophie is such a strong determined girl, I know she will bounce back quicker than expected. And talk about family support....well we all know know there is an abundance of that so I know she's on her way.

Anonymous said...

Such good news!! I saw the video of Sophie reaching for the mouthswab!! I may not post much but you & Brandon & your GORGEOUS family are on my mind often. You are an amazing mommy!!!! Can't wait to come visit and play in St Louis! I know my 4 kiddos always have fun at Sophie's :):) Love you all! XOXO The Ellises

Kelly said...

She looks great!!! So glad things are going well and praying this surgery will mark a new beginning in seizure freedom.