Thursday, July 02, 2009

Brand vs Generic...

I know there has been a lot of discussion lately regarding brand name anti-epileptic drugs versus generic. I even had a conversation about this with our pharmacist. So I made the decision to have Sophie on the brand name Depakene and Dilantin.

But what I didn't know about our prescription drug insurance policy...

There are two lines in which a doctor can sign a prescription. One line states "substitution permitted" and the other states "dispense as written".

So even though our neurologist wrote the prescription for brand name Depakene and Dilantin, he signed the line that stated "substitution permitted". When I dropped off the prescription, I requested for there to be no substitution.

Doesn't sound like a big deal...until the price is given...$140.12 a month for brand name Depakene. So I called our insurance company to find out what our out-of-pocket maximum is for the year.

To only find out that if our neurologist had signed the line "dispense as written", it would only cost us $70.06 a month for brand name Depakene. A savings of $840.72 a year. So I kindly called our neurologist and requested that he send in a new prescription with it signed "dispense as written".

Considering all that Sophie has been through to get to where she is at now...this is the least I can do for her.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh sheesh...it's not just the least you can do. It's the least Sophie's neuro & your insurance can do!

Not that I'm on my soapbox or anything!

...danielle

Holli said...

You've GOT to be kidding!! That's insane. One little line will cost you double??

Gotta love the insurance madness...man.

Holli

Anonymous said...

Good for you.

Adesta said...

Thankfully you were paying attention and looked into it further!!!

JSmith5780 said...

$70 is still a lot thought. Does Sophie have Medicaid? Between Medicaid waiver and regular insurance, I have no co-pays for Austin. And I lived in a screwed up state!

In case I don't make it back online in time... GOOD LUCK Tuesday! Can't wait to "meet" the new baby!