Saturday, October 20, 2007

Another ER visit...

Last Tuesday, Sophie fell out of bed, hit her head and cut her face right above her right eye. It bled pretty bad and it looked like it probably needed stitches. Of course, as soon as I picked her up she was fine but I was crying hysterically. Oh, the guilt!!! Grandma Debbie immediately came to the rescue and drove to the ER with us. Daddy pulled up right behind us. Luckily, she did not need stitches but they were able to use liquid skin adhesive to close the wound. What an ER experience!!! I am glad I waited a few days to post this...

It all started with the nurse coming in with a gauze pad full of numbing gel to put on her cut. So we laid Sophie down on the bed and held her arms down. I thought maybe the nurse was going to use a q-tip or something to spread the gel on Sophie. No - she just stuck the entire pad on Sophie and the gel starting running down her face and into her eye. Then about 15 minutes later, a med student came in to take a look at the cut to see if it needed stitches. She took the gauze pad off and wiped the gel off to take a look. She said that it did not need stitches and just needed steri strips. I asked about liquid skin adhesive since it is easier to maintain and at first she did not know what I was talking about and then said that she did not know if they used that here. So then about 15 minutes later, the doctor came in with the med student and asked her how long the numbing gel has been off. She looked at Brandon dumbfounded and so Brandon said about 10 to 15 minutes. The doctor said the numbing gel probably wore off by now so that he would need to put more on. They both left the room and came back a few minutes later. The doctor whips out a needle to numb the area. He sticks Sophie 4 times around her cut while she is screaming hysterically and also accidentally pokes her with the needle about an inch about her cut. Then we lay her down so the doctor can use the liquid skin adhesive to close the wound. I am holding her head still. Brandon is holding her arms down. Grandma Debbie is holding her legs down. In other words, she is not moving. The doctor proceeds to put the adhesive on Sophie and proceeds to almost glue her eye shut along with his glove along with a crease about an inch about her cut. So he gets everything unstuck and we are good to go. Hindsight, what was the reason for sticking her with a needle 4 times (5 if you count the accidental poke) if you are just going to use adhesive to close the wound. Getting stuck with a needle has to be 100 times more painful than holding the wound close to put adhesive on it. Oh well. It is over now and hopefully there will never be a next time which I will now be prepared for.

1 comment:

Great Aunt Barb said...

So many adventures!! Sophie doesn't look any worse for the wear. Wonder what Mommy looked like at the end of the day?

Love the pictures.

Aunt Barb