Monday, September 10, 2007

A New Medication...

This past Friday evening, we started Sophie on Keppra. She takes 125mg in the evening. It is still too early to tell if it is working, though I think it is a little bit. There are so many factors that cause Sophie's seizures to increase or decrease. Right now, she is cutting a few more teeth. That usually causes an increase in seizures. So right now her seizures are a bit stronger than usual. But today it seemed that she had a slight decrease in seizures. Only time will tell. It is so hard to be optimistic after failing so many different seizure medications. But I cannot help but get my hopes up a bit. The ketogenic diet is not working. I CANNOT wait to wean the diet. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate everything about it. But that is only because it did not work for Sophie. It is just so hard to keep her on the diet and deprive her of being able to eat lots of fruits and vegetables that she loves. So hopefully, once we stabilize her on Keppra, we will be able to wean the diet.

No comments: