Friday, January 14, 2011

Another blood draw...

I hate the night before Sophie has to get her blood drawn. Because I know what I have to do the moment she wakes up...get her dressed and out the door before she starts demanding food. Then the moment she sees the chair, I have to try my hardest to keep her calm. Then the moment from when they start checking out her veins, I have to use every muscle in my body to keep her screaming, fighting, thrashing body still enough so they can draw her blood. All the while, trying to keep my emotions in check because I am heartbroken in the inside seeing the tears just pour out of her eyes and the snot running down her face. Because this is how much she HATES getting her blood drawn.


But NOT today.


Today was different.


Today was blogworthy.


Today started off as usual. I told her she had to go bye-bye with mommy. I didn't tell her where we were going. No need to unless she asked. And she was just happy to be going somewhere. So we pulled into the hospital parking lot. She was excited to get out of her carseat. As we are walking down the hall, she seems to recognize the place. She said to me "we going to see the doctor". I said "yes" which actually did not turn out to be a lie (this is the same building her neuro is in which we ended up running into). We got to the outpatient laboratory and I signed us in. She said "where's the doctor". I said "we have to wait until they call our name". So they called us back and as I was giving them our insurance information, she recognized the chair. She looked at me with the saddest eyes and said "I get shot". I said "yes you are...I am so sorry baby girl". So as we walk toward the chair, she hesitates. Her face is full of worry. I pick her up and tell her it is going to be okay. She sits on my lap and I put my arms around her. They take her arm and tie the band around it. She is remaining calm. As they stick her with the needle, she screams out and flinches. But no tears and she is calm. I tell her to sit really still so they can finish quickly. And she does. She is sitting there watching the entire thing. She says to me "all done". I say "not yet, there is one more vial to go after this (they are collecting four)". They switch out to the last vial and she says "band-aid". I tell her "yes they will give you a band-aid". They finish and she is okay...a little hesitant but still very calm. She picks out a sucker and we are on our way out.


I tell her how proud I am of her.


And she says "I brave".

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is a brave girl. You make us proud every day, Sophie. Hope we see you soon.
Love, Aunt Barbie

Liz said...

Wow! I love it.....can't wait for that day here, I know it will come but it'll be awhile!

MJStump said...

Wow, what a big girl! I love how she is amazing you with her braveness...first the EEG, and now the blood draw.

Danielle said...

OMG!

Thank you for sharing this...

...danielle

ps. but you still can't have my guy ;)

blogzilly said...

That is ASTOUNDING. Thanks for sharing the story.

(I did find it fascinating that you said that this particular story was 'blogworthy'. You do realize that every aspect of what you go through is 'blogworthy', right? It's your LIFE...my two cents anyway...I know that doesn't get anyone very far.)

Strangest CAPTCHA word of ALL TIME: YAPHANOP

Sinead said...

Incredible. Wonderful. Love it when they surprise us.

Anonymous said...

She is SO Brave!! What a good girl!!

Holli said...

Absolutely wonderful!!!

So glad to read this today. Thank you for sharing with us! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, she is brave! But I am even more amazed by her progress (that i could glean from your conversations with her)!!!

Keep going sophie!

Anonymous said...

Go Sofie, go! She is such an inspiration of all that is possible, no matter what anyone may say or feel. She is a miracle to all of us around her. She gives us faith, hope and all of her love every day! Hang in there, she will continue to surprise us every day...

Love ya, Aunt Patsy

Anonymous said...

That's our girl!!!! She is so brave and she will prevail in this journey!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with all of you! You have to be brave too mommy. Sophie will show you how.

Love
Miss Lisa